What you can learn from Jasprit Bumrah
Jasprit Bumrah, the 25-year-old pace sensation has had an incredible first year as an international cricketer. And these are some of his profound comments to Times of India, which was published on February 13, 2019.
“What I try and do is focus on my strengths – what I can do and how far I can push myself – and I back them with the best effort I can put in. If you don’t believe in yourself, nobody can help you. That is something I keep telling myself. Backing yourself is the best gift an individual can give himself.”
“First, preparation is the key. Second, keep an eye on the opposition, especially when you are playing in their backyard. They know what is best suited in their conditions. So constantly watching them can reveal things. Third, adapt. Keep repeating this.”
And what are the lessons that we, managers, can learn from Bumrah? Here are a few questions, you could ask yourself!
- What are my strengths? Am I focusing my best efforts on them? Am I backing my strengths with my best efforts?
- Do I believe in myself? And if I don’t believe in myself, why should anyone else?
- Do I prepare well, whenever I have a task or project to perform?
- Do I observe competition closely and gain insights?
- How well do I adapt to changing circumstances?
If your answer is YES, to all questions, Congrats.
All you need to do is maximise your KPI. Believe in yourself, prepare, observe and adapt, go ahead.
– by Ravi Santhanam for ZEUS