Create Leadership at Every Level
You are the CEO. You have a great team of CXOs. A robust succession plan is in place. Does this mean your organization is well led? Maybe. Maybe not. “Maybe” because talented leadership at upper echelons is necessary. “Maybe not” because leadership at the top alone, is not enough. Leadership needs to run deep and wide.
Why deep and wide? What should one do? Moreover, how?
Why? Because every business is experiencing Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity & Ambiguity (VUCA). While Technology, Connectivity & Globalization have evolved rapidly, Political, Social and Economic systems haven’t kept pace, leading to VUCA
What? Set a premium on the two leadership abilities needed in the VUCA world, Adaptability & Teaming.
1. Adaptability: It is the openness to accept change and alter oneself. Remember the quote often attributed to Charles Darwin, “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change”.
2. Teaming: Coming together, arriving at a common goal and achieving it is teaming. It is imperative for a business operating in a VUCA world.
How? Three simple steps.
1. Spot: Look out for real-life demonstrations of Adaptability & Teaming; during regular reviews, field visits, informal interactions and such. You will spot them.
2. Empower: Get these people into leadership roles, across the length and breadth of the organization and empower them as first responders.
3. Invest: Deploy leadership development initiatives, across the organization, not just among the top.
Summing up, high IQ and prestigious degrees are great. Adaptability & Teaming Skills are better!
How deep and wide, do you want the leadership to be, in your organization?
– by Ravi Santhanam for ZEUS
Next: Performance Reviews