Should you embrace diversity?
CXOs may often wonder, whether diversity in the workplace has any advantage or just makes good sound bites for public image? Diversity does project a positive image, of being socially conscious, responsible, friendly and of contemporary culture. However, it has been established through research, that businesses with diverse and inclusive cultures, out-perform those with homogeneity. Reasons are – (1) They attract the best talent from a larger pool (2) Global world of business is very complex and diverse. Hence any organisation which wants to be tune-in to the external environment must have diversity and an inclusive culture. (3) If you visualise your business as a large team, much like in sports, the variety/ range of expertise, skills, backgrounds and emotions will make it a stronger and richer. So, what should you do?
- Diversity should be in all dimensions – physical, social, intellectual/emotional, et al.
- Must ensure inclusive participation and offer equal opportunities
- Should be all-pervasive culture through all levels and not just at the top.
- Do not fix the responsibility of hiring managers to ensure a target representation of diverse profiles
- Educate everyone as to why it is important for survival and let people embrace diversity and inclusivity from their hearts and minds.
- Self-reflect, measure and maintain a healthy culture.
For additional reading: