UNLEASH THE CREATIVITY OF YOUR HIGH POTENTIALS
Build a team of all winners
High-performance teams need leaders with competitive and winning mindsets. CXOs will always be challenged with these questions:
- A) How do I get the best from each leader? How do I create a team of all winners?
- B) Is internal competition affecting team-work?
- B) Are my leaders collaborating to solve the big problems? Are they pulling in the same direction and not working cross-purpose?
- C) How do I retain an overall control over various activities when people start working very closely?
A healthy climate in the workplace where people collaborate and, compete requires unique skills which develop from years of experience, or through professional help.
Here are some suggestions that could help anyone facing the above challenges.
Objectivity, Transparency, Fairness, Goals, Rewards & Recognition
* Goal setting process must be fair/transparent ensuring a level playing field. Assign primary and secondary goals with targets/weightages reflecting the desired level of contribution.
* Team reviews – fact-based and objective. Performance ratings & overall earnings must be based on the achievement of both sets of goals.
* Recognise those doing well against set goals and offer collective suggestions and help to those lagging. Focus on possible causes and not the person.
* Publicly acknowledge and laud those who have gone outside their mandate, to help someone or the organisation.
* Leaders must be empowered, encouraged, challenged, supported and not controlled.
* Management control – should be through a system of goal-setting, performance reviews; one on one and team meetings.
If you can create a workplace where everyone wants to do better than the rest, yet cooperate and help, knowing that they are inter-dependent and real competition is outside in the marketplace, you have got yourself a winning team.
By : Pradeep Sen for Zeus